This Week I Learned - Week #57
This Week I Learned:
- Google provides a handbook for multi-device web best practices that can used along with Udacity Mobile Web Development course
- Like JSFiddle for collaborating with webpages, SQLFiddle.com can be used for online testing and sharing of database problems and their solutions.
- SumatraPDF is a free PDF, eBook (ePub, Mobi), XPS, DjVu, CHM reader for Windows
- With Bing Venue Maps, you can currently explore 120 malls & 3 airports in India
- The original Sanskrit name for Guntur was Garthapuri.
- Didn't know there was so much history behind these while passing through them. Nagarjunsagar-Srisailam Tiger Reserve is the largest Tiger reserve in India. The largest masonry (mainly stone and brick) dam in the world is Nagarjunasagar Dam in India. The construction duration of the dam was between the years of 1955 and 1967 and it took some 125,000 workers to build it. The construction of the dam submerged an ancient Buddhist settlement, Nagarjunakonda.
- Out of 8,163 candidates contesting for the Lok Sabha elections, 2,208 (27%) are crorepatis a sharp increase over 2009, when 1,249 (16%) of the candidates were crorepatis, and 2004, when only 13% of the candidates had such riches. According to data analysed by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) from the self-sworn affidavits filed by candidates with the Election Commission, 1,398 (17%) candidates have declared criminal cases against themselves,up from 15% of the candidates faced with criminal cases in 2009. Worryingly, there are 889 (11%) candidates with serious criminal cases, including those related to murder, attempt to murder, communal disharmony, kidnapping and crimes against women in this election, an increase from the 608 (8%) candidates in 2009 - Times of India
- Saravana Bhavan is one of the world’s largest chains of vegetarian restaurants with 33 in India, 47 in a dozen other countries
- Difference between SUV & MUV - SUV is a name given to a passenger vehicle which combines the towing capacity of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a minivan or station wagon together with on or off road ability.We commonly know them as an "off-road vehicle" or "four-wheel drive", often abbreviated to "4WD" or "4x4". MUV is a minivan, multi-purpose vehicle (abbreviated MPV), people-carrier, people-mover or multi-utility vehicle (shortened MUV) which is a type of automobile similar in shape to a van that is designed for personal use. Generally SUVs have more ground clearance than MUVs which aid in off-road ability. Tata SUMO is example of a MUV since it was designed and launched as a people carrier. Examples of MUV in India are Toyota Innova, Mahindra Xylo. Renault Duster is a compact SUV while Maruti Ertiga is a compact MUV.
- A headline like this talks volumes about Japan's disaster preparedness - Strong earthquake jolts Tokyo region; few injuries
- The eureka moment never happens; you have to work towards it - Dhairya Dand