TWIL- Week #56
This Week I Learned:
- Azure SQL Database Premium Tier (currently in preview) supports databases up to 500 GB in size. Previously the maximum size of database supported by SQL Database was 150GB. Web and Business service tiers will be retired in April 2015.
- The Disqus realtime commenting system built using Python, Django, Nginx Push Stream Module, and Thoonk can handle 1.5 million concurrently connected users, 45,000 new connections per second, 165,000 messages/second, with less than .2 seconds latency end-to-end.
- Mozilla’s installation of the Bugzilla bug-tracking software reached the landmark of bug number 1,000,000.
- Turner Broadcasting System's "TV in Context" provides context ads for TV. The idea is to tie the first advertisement in a commercial break to the last scene in a television program or movie.
- The mosquito is one of the deadliest animals killing more humans (~725,000) than any other.
- In absolute numbers, more people die in road accidents in India than in any other country.
- India is the world's third-largest economy
- The Election Commission of India makes available online the affidavits of candidates for parliamentary and assembly elections. The affidavits also contain email addresses of the candidates.
- Personal finance - The number of Nominees varies for different types of accounts. Certain accounts like Savings, Demat and Fixed Deposit can have only one Nominee; however accounts like PPF and Mutual Funds can have more than one Nominee.