HOW TO use a Bookmarklet on Chrome mobile


Web Performance guru, Steve Souders, has nicely listed the steps to use a bookmarklet within a mobile browser (generally deemed not possible as mobile browsers lack a bookmarks bar like desktop browsers do). His technique involves bookmarking a URL with an embedded anchor and then editing that URL within the mobile browser
While using those instructions on Chrome on Android, I had to do the last step differently to make Steve's Mobile Perf Bookmarklet work. I had to type the bookmarklet by name ("Perf" in my case)  in the address bar to invoke while I was on the web page where I wanted to use the bookmarklet.

Surprisingly, the Mobile Perf bookmarklet doesn't work on some webpages (like Google Search) & I haven't been able to figure out the reason. It also appears that only certain type of bookmarklets can work on mobile browsers.

Comments