Ujaval Gandhi on Building a Business with Open Content and Open Source

Ujaval Gandhi’s talk about how he built a sustainable business around open-source GIS training. 


He shares the lessons he learned along the way - 

"Open content is not only good for the community but it's also good for business. It drives a lot of traffic....One of the things I learned in a kind of interesting way is just naturally I would put all the errors that the software would get and the search engines index them really well. For a month I looked at my stats and the number one referer to my sites was the QIS error spatial index doesn't exist and I had a content like if you get this error run this tool it'll fix it and then I had a video on explaining spatial index and then people watch that video and say I like this style let me explore more and then they sign up for a course."

About a decade ago, during my time working with ASP.NET, I was drawn to forum questions about things that weren’t possible out of the box. I enjoyed finding workarounds or alternative approaches and sharing them with the community. That habit played a part in my receiving the Microsoft MVP Award for five years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 SQL Server 2005 Keyboard Shortcuts

HOW TO Read Linux ext4 Files on Windows with 7-Zip (No Drivers Needed)

Uncle Bob vs. Grady Booch: Rethinking Code Reviews in the Age of AI