Don't just RTFM, make sure you're Reading The Latest Version of the Fine Manual

I download and keep Azure reference guides and whitepapers that Microsoft offers occasionally.

While reading about Azure Site Recovery in Azure Strategy and Implementation Guide, I was intrigued about this point  -
Ensure that you create your Recovery Services vault in the same subscription where the Azure VMs are running. You cannot replicate VMs running in one subscription to another subscription.

I liked this alert about a ASR limitation as discovering this while in implementation mode would be disappointing if I ran into this scenario.

While searching online for any other detail about ASR, I was stumped to read this in the Azure documentation, Common questions: Azure-to-Azure disaster recovery (04/29/2019):
...you can replicate Azure VMs to a different subscription within the same Azure AD tenant.

I checked to see when the Guide was written. It was from 2018.

It reaffirmed a fact I learnt the hard way in the past -  if there is information that is striking, verify if the documentation is current. Refer to the latest documentation to look for any breaking changes.

Comments