This Week I Learned -
* Microsoft Azure Speed Test
can gauge which Azure Data Center could be the best for your location by detecting Blob storage latency
* Microsoft supports only specific versions of Microsoft server software on Azure virtual machines
* What should not
be run on Azure VMs:
- Software whose perf/HA/technical requirements cannot by supported by Azure
- Software whose single server spec requirements exceed Azure VM sizes
- Software which need high speed network/IO to resources NOT hosted in Azure
- Clustered Virtual machines are required
- Anything earlier than Windows Server 2008 R2
- 16-Bit and 32-bit operating systems are not supported (but 32 bit process running on a 64bit OS are)
* Your site's mobile-friendliness is now considered as a Google Search ranking signal. You can check your site by testing your pages with the Mobile-Friendly Test tool
. This tool shows how Google Search sees your pages.
* Invalid certificates could mean that someone is trying to tamper with your connection to the site.
If you're connected to the Internet via a public wireless network, mixed scripting is especially risky because wireless networks are easier to tamper with than wired networks
* There are now 65 internet-first restaurant start-ups that have mushroomed in under a year, mostly catering to busy urban Indians. Investors pumped in nearly Rs 10 crore into Indian internet restaurants so far this year, already matching their total investment in all of last year in these companies. Globally, investments into internet restaurants increased to $500 million (Rs 3,200 crore) this year so far, from $180 million ( Rs 1,152 crore) in 2014. - Times of India
* ...the combined number of your LinkedIn connections, Twitter contacts, and Facebook friends almost certainly exceeds the Dunbar constant
. By using the average human brain size and extrapolating from the results of primates, British anthropologist Robin Dunbar proposed that humans can only comfortably maintain 150 stable relationships
* Ubuntu is a philosophy of African tribes that can be summed up as "I am because we are"
* China is the world's largest producer and consumer of pork. China grows more corn than rice. A significant portion of its corn is used to feed chickens, pigs and cattle.
* An estimated 68% of the world's adults are lactose intolerant (can't digest milk)
* Honeybees top the list of insect pollinators on which one-third of food crops depend. Bees contribute to 80% of the world's almond supply
* A pound of clover honey represent the food rewards from approximately 8.7 million flowers. Bees form honey from the nectar from flowers. It is stored in their hive as winter food but gets stolen by humans - National Geographic
* Indian banks charge you if you visit them. Or for cash deposits in “non home” branches.
* Even in this day and age of electronic banking it takes three working days — not including weekends and other holidays — to clear a cheque or a DD. In the meantime, your bank can put your money, interest-free, to whatever use to benefit itself. When you think of all those 12.58 crore new accounts (of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna), and Rs 10,590 crore deposits, all subject to the ‘three working-days-excluding-holidays’ formula you can see how banks make a fast buck by ensuring that you make the s-l-o-w buck - Times of India
* 89 of the 195 location pockets across 25 cities tracked by a price index of the National Housing Bank (NHB) returned less than a bank deposit - Live Mint
* The Indian Memory Project
tracks the visual & oral history of the Indian subcontinent via family archives
* Lord Hanuman makes a brief appearance at the end of Season 26 Episode 16
of "The Simpsons"
Labels: Azure, TWIL