Dave Voyles and Stacey Mulcahy have delivered a 7-part roughly 5-hour video course on Single Page Applications with jQuery or AngularJS
. Key points from that course:
- A single page application or SPA is a web application that fits on one page
- A SPA can redraw any part of the UI without refreshing the page
- They provide native-application like experience in the browser
- Data is seperated from the presentation
- Often includes templating, AJAX, routing
- Loads data & views on demand
- Examples - Twitter, email clients in the browser, Azure portal
^ SEO considerations
^ Browser history
- Library vs Framework - A library has specific operations and it is usually organized into a class with specific functions (like image manipulation) while a framework defines the structural skeleton of an application - typically it is the abstract design with the base behavior in place.
- The simple code sample demonstrated in the course showing the same functionality built with jQuery and AngularJS separately, is available on Github
- The code sample makes calls to a quick-to-build Azure Mobile Services REST API
to fetch and add information to a SQL Azure table without writing any server-side code.The endpoint can be restricted to be used by one or more specific domains (localhost allowed by default).