This Week I Learned -
* Each Azure subscription supports up to 50 storage accounts (so 500 TB (for each Azure storage account * 50 = 25 Petabytes) and therefore 25 Petabytes
* Affinity groups are no longer recommended, or required for virtual networks
. No longer do you need to explicitly group resources in close proximity to each other to minimize latency between items like VNETs, VMs, and storage
. Improvements to the Azure virtual network infrastructure have made communication between different parts of the Azure DC very quick
* Azure API Management
service lets you take existing backends and project a mobile-friendly, modern RESTful URL structure, transform XML to JSON on the fly, without costly modification work involving engineering teams and months of waiting.
* Twitter, GitHub, StackOverflow, Instagram, Snapchat, Flickr use Redis in some form or the other. Redis is an open-source advanced key-value cache and store. Redis is a managed service on Azure. What this means is, Azure will give you ready-to-use features and services of Redis and you can plug-and-play them into your application. You get access to a secure, dedicated Redis cache and this is accessible from any application within Azure.
* SAP, the worldwide ERP Software Giant, sees cloud revenues surpassing on-premise revenues by 2018.
* Don't ever check any sort of server credentials (API keys, database passwords, etc.) into source control
* The value of outsourcing deals worldwide in 2014 is $120.4 billion, down from $206.8 billion in 2010.
* Outsourcing accounts for around 20% of all of India’s exports of goods and services.
* Nasscom estimates that only 200,000-220,000 outsourcing jobs will be added in India in 2015 compared with 273,000 new jobs in 2011.
* The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol. Samba is a free software re-implementation of the SMB/CIFS networking protocol
* Just 200M systems left on Windows XP. Microsoft stopped delivering Security Essentials signatures for XP this week
* As per CIBIL data, 79% of loans sanctioned are to individuals with a score of 750 and higher.
" is a word of Sanskrit origin that's used in English
* "the power of trignometry is that it acts like a dictionary translating geometry into numbers & back"
* The Argumentum ad hominem, or simply ad hominem argument, applies to any argument that centers on emotional (specifically irrelevant emotions) rather than rational or logical appeal. An ad hominem argument occurs when one attacks the person making an argument rather than the argument itself.
* Indoor Lightning Safety tips - Stay off corded phones, computers and other electrical equipment that put you in direct contact with electricity, avoid plumbing, including sinks, baths and faucets. Get out of and away from open water
. Hair standing on end and tingling skin may be signs that a lightning strike may be imminent
* When a third-party application uses Facebook as an OAuth provider & when a user is redirected to Facebook to approve that third-party application to use their personal details, there is an option to edit the info that can be provided (like email address and more specific personal details than just the name). This is nice and I wonder if it was there earlier