AdRotator Modes

AdRotator populates its image and navigation properties in 3 different ways:

  1. XML file (for extra security, give it a file name extension like .ads & place it in the App_Data folder because ASP.NET prevents files from that folder from being served to browsers)
  2. Database
  3. Programmatically

If the page that contains the AdRotator control is cached, the AdRotator control automatically performs cache substitution to replace the cached ad with a new one whenever the page is retrieved from the cache.

Related links:
AdRotator Web Server Control Overview
Using the AdRotator Class + Dynamic Image Generation in ASP.NET 2.0

When you have to review a topic & you don't have much time, it helps to have a crisp summary with only the vital details. I plan to put quick references like this post under the new label/tag - "QuickList". Talking to friends & from my own experience, I have found that organizing key points as a list makes it easy to recall & memorize. No doubt this kind of information is available on MSDN but I wanted to keep it snappy & bookmark compelling content that I find while I search for answers to questions on technical Forums I participate in.

Comments