The Joy of Bookmarklets

A Bookmarklet is a small JavaScript program that can be hosted on the browser's bookmarks bar and used to simplify a multi-step or repetitive activity by automating it. For instance, upon clicking the Snipshot bookmarklet, it will extract all the images in a web page that you have opened, display them for you to select & open them directly with the Snipshot image editing site. This feature can be helpful when you want to quickly edit images you find online.

There are quite a lot of such bookmarklets that can enhance your browsing experience.

As they are cross-browser, they work in all popular browsers unlike Extensions (in Firefox & Chrome) and Accelerators & Web Slices (in IE8).

WPO (Web Performance Optimization) guru Steve Souders says:  I use bookmarklets frequently to enhance web sites. I build tools as bookmarklets as a first choice - that way they can run on all browsers. If I can't do what I want using a bookmarklet, I'll next try Greasemonkey, and finally as a browser plug-in, typically a Firefox add-on. 

I've developed a fascination for Bookmarklets. My bookmarks bar is now full. To add new ones and view them all directly, I'll probably have to buy a bigger monitor.

After getting to know that commenting on "dofollow" blogs/sites can have some value, I wondered if there was an easy way of identifying such sites. I though writing a bookmarklet to highlight "nofollow" links could be one way. I was thrilled to find that such a bookmarklet has already been written a couple of years ago by a Googler. I tweaked it a little to make it work in IE8 as well.

Some bookmarklets from around the web that I've found useful over the years (drag & drop links to your Bookmarks bar to use) -
- Get Image Links
View Passwords
- Enable Copy Paste

Also see:
Bookmarklet Construction Set
Bookmarklet to continuously refresh any web-page
Google Docs Viewer bookmarklet
HOW TO create your own IE8 Accelerator

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO download files hosted in Azure Web App in bulk

HOW TO add a header or footer to a dynamically generated Word document

30+ GitHub Products & Key Ecosystem Features You Should Know in 2026