TWIL - Week #8
This Week I Learned:
- Yahoo will pay $1.1 billion for Tumblr, a six-year-old company founded by David Karp (aged 26) with more than 100 million users, 500 Mn pageviews a day, peak rate of ~40k requests per second, ~3TB of new data to store a day, all running on 1000+ servers but very little revenue.
- Teenager, Eesha Khare won the Intel Foundation Young Scientist Award and a $50,000 runner-up prize for her invention - to fully charge a cell phone in 30 seconds or less.
- GeoGuessr is an interesting online geography game that uses the Google Maps API and found a mention in XKCD. I wonder which came first GeoGuessr or Where in the World?
- According two economists at the University of California, Santa Cruz, having a computer at home won't raise a school student's grades. It doesn't help - or hurt. Is there any proof that computers that Indian populist politicians give away to students in India have a positive impact?
- CBSE, Directorate of School Education, Tamil Nadu offer school textbooks for their respective Boards for free download. Nice.
- Why you shouldn't mess with Matthew "The Oatmeal" Inman