TWIL - Week #21
This Week I Learned:
- You can track Indian Stock Exchanges Sensex and Nifty indices using these formulas in Google Spreadsheet - =GoogleFinance("BSESN","price") and =GoogleFinance("NSEI","price") respectively. It is possible to have Google Docs send updates about changing values as a text message.
- Amazon Web Services & Microsoft Azure aren't the only places where you can host a Cloud-based .NET application. There are atleast 4 other .NET PaaS-like providers.
- The learnings of one experienced developer:
- There is no "right way" in software development
- Reading a book cover-to-cover is not the best way to learn - You don’t really learn a technology until you’ve solved real problems with it.
- Learning particular technologies in-depth is a waste of time
- Community is extremely important in your software development career
- Always have a side project
- HTML5 does not use a Document Type Definition (DTD). Instead, it uses the Document Object Model (DOM, the "tree" formed by a document's structure) as its basis rather than a particular set of syntax rules. It also differs from previous recommendations in that it includes instructions for how browsers should handle malformed and legacy markup - from HTML5 Pocket Reference
- Google Suggest was built by Kevin Gibbs in his 20% time. Though it was launched in 2004 as a Google Labs feature it was finally made default on Google.com as well as mobile, maps and browsers in 2008
- Capitalist Individualism means becoming brilliant at something that people need, so that they pay you lots of money to do it.
- All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burkes, Irish political thinker