10 ways to make laptop battery last longer
Paraphrased from a Right Choice magazine article with my own opinions:
- Keep the brightness of the screen as low as possible. If portability & long battery life are important for you then buy a laptop with a lower screen size. The laptop's biggest power drain is the screen.
- Disable Wi-fi and Bluetooth when not needed
- Unplug all external devices
- Run only as many programs as you need. If you have a 100 browser tabs open, your battery life will be about 1 hour shorter.
- Lower or turn off the volume
- Keep the laptop in a cool place and avoid propping it on a pillow as this blocks airflow to the fan, causing it to heat up.
- Defragment your hard drive
- Clean the battery's metal contacts. Clean contacts increase the energy efficiency. Always clean them when the battery is fully-drained, and use a cloth that's only slightly damp, to avoid electric shocks and short circuits.
- Shutdown or hibernate your laptop instead of putting it on standby if you're going to be away for long hours
- Turn off unwanted programs or processes that work in the background.
- HOW TO prevent Skype from auto-starting after Windows boots
- HOW TO speed up your Windows PC
- Highest voted questions (with answers) tagged Laptop Battery on the Super User Stack Exchange Forum