TWIL - Week #33
This Week I Learned:
- “What you can measure you can optimize” - Ilya Grigorik
- Old versions of Opera are available for download
- PageSpeed Insights analyzes the content of a web page, then generates suggestions to make that page faster.
- MusicBrainz is an open music encyclopedia that collects music metadata
- Coder is a free, open source project that turns a Raspberry Pi into a simple platform that educators and parents can use to teach the basics of building for the web.
- The Interesting tab on the home page of Stack Overflow Q & A website gives a registered user a customized view of stuff to answer based on what you've already answered. The link /users/tag-future/current tells you what their Predictor knows about
- MakeMyTrip, Yatra and Cleartrip.com - handle nearly 90 per cent of all online bookings nationwide, excluding bus tickets.
- TCS, India's largest software services firm, pays software engineers a starting salary of Rs 3-3.5 lakhs (Source: Economic Times)
- According to Forbes, Sachin's endorsement income makes him India's sixth-wealthiest celebrity, earning $18 million on top of his $4 million cricket salary, as of June.
- “I’ve had thousands of problems in my life, most of which never actually happened.” - Mark Twain
- Android 4.4 or KitKat has a smarter caller ID similar to TrueCaller. Whenever you get a call from a phone number not in your contacts, your phone will look for matches from businesses with a local listing on Google Maps.
- SIM, the acronym for Subscriber Identification Module, is an integrated circuit that stores data needed to authenticate users on mobile telephony devices. The cards are now available in three formats — standard, micro and nano — and come preloaded with data and capabilities to access information from remote locations. The data capacity on a SIM has also doubled to 32 KB from the earlier 16 KB, and now operators are offering 64 KB cards too. applets (small application or a utility program) are pre-installed on the SIM and they can also be delivered over the air. These applets can trigger the download of other applications such as music and data streaming suites and self-care applications