TWIL - Week #40
This Week I Learned:
- Network and latency typically accounts for 70% of a site’s total page load time.Large data URIs inlined in render-blocking CSS are harmful for render performance; they are blocking resources where image URLs are non-blocking.
- Google reports that over 300,000 websites are currently using the PageSpeed module (or service) to serve WebP images to users. WebP is currently supported in Chrome and Opera on the desktop. Mobile support is limited to the native Android browser and Chrome for Android. WebP is not currently supported natively in any operating systems.
- Users of Siri, Microsoft Bing, DuckDuckGo, Iris, and BlackBerry’s voice recognition software are all powered in part by Wolfram’s technology
- The U.S. is nearly alone in using Fahrenheit for weather. The United States is the only major industrialized country in the world that does not use the Celsius scale and the metric system as its predominant system of measurement.
- By 1983, two-thirds of the watch industry jobs in Switzerland had disappeared, and the country was producing only 10 percent of the world’s watches. Yet Switzerland has reemerged as the global leader of watch exports (by export value), due to a new-found market demand for old-style mechanical watches. Forbes
- ..Amazon's payroll has swelled to 110,000 employees... Inside Amazon, evaluating an applicant typically takes five or six employees at least two hours each. Source: WSJ