TWIL - Week #52
This Week I Learned:
- Yahoo, Flickr and LinkedIn use Node
- Google may use EXIF data from pictures as a ranking factor ("we reserve the right to use EXIF or other metadata that we find about an image")
- US Citizenship and Immigration Services denied more new L-1 B petitions for Indians in FY 2009 (1,640) than in the previous nine fiscal years combined (1,341 denials FY 2000-2008 )
- There are about 500,000 Indians living in Qatar, twice the number of Qatari nationals. Nepal and India account for 50% of the total migrant workforce there.
- The nine-phase Lok Sabha elections in India begin on April 7th, 2014 and will end on May 12th. The vote count will take place on May 16th.
- Andhra Pradesh voters will have a series of elections from mandal parishad to Lok Sabha. For the Lok Sabha elections, the Election Commission (EC) has decided to mark the index finger of the right hand of voters with inedible ink mark instead of the left, which is the normal practice.
- Candidates standing for elections have to deposit Rs.10,000 for assembly and Rs.25,000 for Lok Sabha elections at the time of filing the nomination papers. A candidate who gets at least 1/10 of the polled votes can reclaim the deposit.