Free, online Data Science courses
* The Johns Hopkins University in collaboration with Coursera is offering a series of 9 courses on Data Science that starts from today. The courses are free to watch but to get a certificate, you will need to pay.
The duration of each course is of 4 weeks and the estimated workload is 3-5 hours/week
Each course consists of weekly video lectures, weekly quizzes, and a final peer-assessed project.
The suggested order is to complete The Data Scientist's Toolbox and Introduction to R Programming first. The other courses may be taken in any order, and in parallel if desired.
These courses may or may not be offered after the 4-week period.
The course home page recommends reading the following web sites to get a sense of the field of data science:
* Udacity's Intro to Data Science (UD359) course covers the foundational topics in data science, namely:
- Data Manipulation
- Data Analysis with Statistics and Machine Learning
- Data Communication with Information Visualization
- Data at Scale -- Working with Big Data
Some of the lessons make use of UIDAI's (Unique Identification Authority of India) Aadhaar Data
Udacity's Data Science track also has courses on Statistics, Hadoop, MapReduce, Exploratory Data Analysis using R, Machine Learning.
Also see: Free Pluralsight videos