This Week I Learned - Week #67
This Week I Learned:
- The most common form of scaling in the cloud is horizontal—adding additional compute instances that allow a Web application to run simultaneously on multiple Web servers (instances). Taking the necessary steps to ensure your Web application is stateless is probably the most meaningful task during the development of a Web application. The ability to safely run across multiple Web server instances, with no concerns about user state, data corruption or functional correctness, is one of the most important factors in scaling a Web application. - MSDN Magazine
- The normal Web and Business editions of Azure SQL Database have a limit of 180 concurrent requests.
- Web Storage (which includes sessionStorage & localStorage) can provide up to 2MB and 5MB of key/value storage per domain whereas a cookie can store only text up to a size of 4KB (20 per domain). You can view the contents of localStorage with the help of browser Developer Tools.
- Some parts of DuckDuckGo are open source.
- Google will now indicate when a page listed in its search results won’t load properly on your device.
- Project Zero is a group of top Google security researchers with the sole mission of tracking down and neutering the most insidious security flaws in the world’s software. Those secret hackable bugs, known in the security industry as “zero-day” vulnerabilities, are exploited by criminals, state-sponsored hackers and intelligence agencies in their spying operations. By tasking its researchers to drag them into the light, Google hopes to get those spy-friendly flaws fixed. - Wired One of the team member's title is 'Troublemaker'.
- In the 2014 World Cup, the Germans were the tallest with an average height of 1.86 m & heaviest weighing 79.35 kilos on average. - Gramener
- The Germans, 2014 Football Word Cup winners, studied themselves and the competition closely – they improved their ball handling time from 3.4 secs to 1.1 secs - Gramener
- Microsoft has 6,500 employees in India and a total worldwide strength of 1,26,000.
- It is a requirement at GlobalLogic, a Silicon Valley-based company founded by four Indians which specializes in outsourced product development (OPD) and focuses on R&D services, that each of its top executives, even those heading marketing functions, is an engineer. - Forbes India
- One third of world's extreme poor are in India according to a UN Study
- Around 72 lakh vehicle owners in the newly formed state of Telangana will need to change their vehicle license plates to display the new code - The Hindu
- Dr Naresh Trehan (68), a recipient of the Padma Bhushan and the Padma Shri, has a 55% stake in Medanta (a 1,250-bed hospital built on a 43-acre plot) whose net worth is Rs 785 crore. His first business initiative was the Escorts Heart Institute (later acquired by Fortis) in New Delhi, which he helped establish in 1988. - Forbes India
- Costa Rica does not have an army.
- "It's surprising how hard we'll work when the work is done just for ourselves." - Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes, who works for personal fulfillment.