This Week I Learned - Week #78
This Week I Learned:
- Angular (like jQuery) doesn't support CORS for IE9. IE10 is the first IE browser that supports CORS.
- The Xiaomi default browser is a Chromium, and not an Android WebKit as it supports the pointer media query, something only Chromium browsers on Android do. (No, desktop Chromes don’t.)
- Leaving a new Lithium-Ion generic battery in its sealed packaging will degrade if left unused
- The head of a Pakistani company which created an app called StealthGenie allowing users to spy on other people's mobile devices was indicted on US criminal charges in the first-ever criminal case concerning the advertisement and sale of a mobile device spyware app. The indictment alleges that StealthGenie’s capabilities included the following: it recorded all incoming/outgoing voice calls; it intercepted calls on the phone to be monitored while they take place; it allowed the purchaser to call the phone and activate it at any time to monitor all surrounding conversations within a 15-foot radius; and it allowed the purchaser to monitor the user’s incoming and outgoing e-mail messages and SMS messages, incoming voice-mail messages, address book, calendar, photographs, and videos. All of these functions were enabled without the knowledge of the user of the phone (which could be Apple’s iPhone, Google’s Android, and Blackberry Limited’s Blackberry).
- All Midcaps are not cyclical businesses. Cyclical businesses witness price volatility based on the state of the economy and hence carry some element of risk. For example, automobiles, metals and infrastructure. In contrast, Defensive businesses are relatively more stable during economic cycles and thus carry lesser risk. For ex, consumer goods, pharma and healthcare.
- There are over 80 medications that grapefruit can interact negatively with. Other citrus fruits such as Seville oranges, limes, pomelos, and tangelos have been identified as having the same chemical compound culprit as grapefruit - Go Ask Alice!
- Some species of the lizard family lay eggs as well as give birth to live young - Kaun Banega Maha Crorepati
- Roughly one-fourth of India is below the official poverty line. 50% of the workforce still depends on agriculture for its livelihood. Agriculture is exempt from income tax. The total number of tax payers is about 4% or 50 million. In 2013, 42,800 people officially declared their taxable income to be more than 1 crore. A small fraction pays the bulk of total income tax in other countries too. 40% of American households don't pay any income tax. 1% of the households pay 46% of total income tax. 1% of households in Britain pay 28% of all income tax. - Times of India
- Bezos has revealed that its India platform, Amazon.in, had sold $1 billion (Rs 6,100 crore) worth of products in a year. The company sells products across about 30 categories and hosts over 8,500 merchants on its platform.