This Week I Learned - Week #79
This Week I Learned:
- This Ctrlq app can take the URL of a PDF or any doc & save it to a online cloud storage service like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box or OneDrive, without downloading it to the local computer. It uses Filepicker.io's service.
- Shift-Delete keyboard shortcut can be used to remove past searches from Google Chrome's omnibar
- On the BigBillionDay, Flipkart deployed 5000 servers and prepared for 20 times the traffic growth
- Bootstrap Playground is a visual online editor that makes it easy to build web pages using Bootstrap
- The world has 7.22 billion mobile devices while the world population is around 7.2 billion. Mobile technology is the fastest growing manmade phenonmenon ever - from zero to 7.2 billion in 30 years.
- Shuji Nakamura, one of the three winners of the 2014 Nobel Prize for Physics, is among the rare Nobel winners to have got the prize before completing a PhD. As about one fourth of world electricity consumption is used for lighting purposes, the LEDs contribute to saving earth's resources. Nakamura was paid just $180 as bonus for his invention from his employer.
- All the typing we do on gadgets will make us forget how to write by hand. With the all the helpful auto-correction and word-completion features of apps, we may also forget how to spell
- Experts currently believe that the brain shuts down within 20 to 30 seconds of the heart stopping beating.
- The United States is the number one importer of doctors from developing countries. A commission from The Lancet rates Cuba among the best performing middle-income countries in health.
- Although e-commerce accounts for less than 1% of the total retail market in India, it is by far the fastest growing retail channel. It is estimated to grow to as much as $22 billion (excluding travel) in five years from $3.1 billion currently, according to a November 2013 report by CLSA. - Mint
- Uber doesn't have an India office or a representative in the country. It operates in India through Netherlands based Uber BV. Rival cab service providers pay service tax (12%), Uber does'nt. Uber rides are paid for by card without the need for two-factor authentication, which requires users to key in a PIN. Uber was recently forced to fall in line by the Reserve Bank of India, which insisted that it couldn't sidestep credit card security norms. - Economic Times
- A bank account in India is considered inoperative in the absence of customer-induced transaction for two years. As per Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines, a savings bank account, and even a current account, is considered dormant or inoperative if there are no transactions in it for at least two years. There is no charge to re-activate a dormant account. - Mint
- Indian PM, Modi's iconic calf-length shirts are called ModiKurtas and they are referred with that hash tag on social media.
- Indian Olympic-medal winning wrestlers, Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt are vegetarians
- Kabaddi, as a sport, will take time to reach the Olympics, because the international committee rule is that 55 nations have to play a sport for it to gain entry as a sport.Currently, only 35 nations play it. One of the goals of the pro kabaddi league was to popularise the sport. - Abhishek Bachchan
- “Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase” - Martin Luther King