Summary of "7 Tricky Work Situations, and How to Respond to Them"

Summary of a HBR article "7 Tricky Work Situations, and How to Respond to Them"

Situation #1: Someone takes credit for your idea -
“Thanks for spotlighting my point.”

Situation #2: You’re asked to stay late when you’re about to leave the office for a personal obligation-
“Excuse me, I have another commitment.”

Situation #3: In a pivotal situation, a trusted colleague snaps at you -
“This isn’t about what you do for me. It is about what you did to me.”

Situation #4: You have to say “no.”  -
“This is a good launching point.”

Situation #5: You have to give negative or awkward feedback to someone you’re close with. -
“I’m here to be for you what someone once was for me.”

Situation #6: You need to push back on a decision you believe is wrong -
“This is my preference.”

Situation #7: You need to escalate a serious issue -
“Your response gives me cause to take this further.”

Comments