TWIL - Week #13
This Week I Learned:
- Windows Azure Mobile Services and Windows Azure Web Sites are now "generally available". Auto scale, alerts and monitoring are now available in preview.
- The Windows Azure Pack for Windows Server delivers Windows Azure technologies for you to run inside your datacenter, enabling you to offer rich, self-service, multi-tenant services that are consistent with Windows Azure. It is available to Microsoft customers at no additional cost.
- SQL Server treats table and columns names case-sensitively if the database has a case-sensitive collation.
- Earlier this month, Flipkart.com sold one million books in a single day. According to a Nielsen survey, it occupied an average 40 to 45 percent share of the book trade in 2013.
- Collaborative book-writing is just the latest in a growing list of unexpected use for GitHub, the social network for hackers that now boasts 3.6 million users.
- YouTube now can play some videos at 144px - this is the opposite of HD but it could be helpful to those on a low bandwidth or for just previewing a video.
- Life spans rose by nearly 50 percent, from 47 years in the 1950s to 69 years in 2010. In most rich countries today, the average life span is over 75 (in Japan it’s over 80), while in the poorest it is only 58.