This Week I Learned - Week #62
This Week I Learned:
- IIS 7.5 Express can run on Windows XP and above while IIS 8.5 Express can run on Windows Vista SP1 and above
- Compared to most other web servers and operating systems, something unique to IIS and Windows is their lack of case sensitivity when it comes to the names of paths and files. While case insensitivity may seem harmless and maybe even a little convenient, taking advantage of that flexibility (on purpose or not) can lead to unnecessary cache misses for your users. A request for the image http://asp.net/images/ui/asplogo-NEW.png is not cached if it is subsequently called via requests that don't have consistent casing - http://asp.net/images/ui/asplogo-NEW.png or http://asp.net/images/UI/asplogo-NEW.png. The IIS performance best practice is to is to pick a file casing convention and adhere to it strictly throughout your entire site.
- Using tracking cookies, Facebook is able to determine the sites you visit. Facebook’s mobile app can take stock of other apps you’ve installed, too. Facebook announced it is adding your web-browsing activity to data that advertisers can make use of to show you targeted ads.
- diffbot identifies and extracts the important parts of any web page, though not for free
- Readability's Parser API (freely available for non-commercial use) can fetch content of web pages and its meta data as JSON or XML
- WhichLoadsFaster can compare any two websites that you provide to see which one loads faster across multiple runs. According to their tests, the homepage of Bing loads faster than Google currently.
- The formula for calculating IMDB's Top Rated 250 movie Titles is: weighted rating (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C where: R = average for the movie (mean) = (Rating), v = number of votes for the movie = (votes), m = minimum votes required to be listed in the Top 250 (currently 25000), C = the mean vote across the whole report (currently 7.0)
- Statin drugs (for cardiovascular disease) are the number one profit maker in the pharmaceutical industry. Natural alternatives to statin drugs have no side effects. Source - Health Capsules
- IIT-ian Mahesh Gupta who runs India's second largest water purifier company, Kent RO Systems, got it to scale from being a Rs 25-crore firm in 2005 to a Rs 600-crore giant by 2014 - Forbes India
- Nationalized banks in India account for 70% of the banking system.
- India is divided into 22 telecom service areas, also called circles, with most of them reflecting a state, but some states are divided. For example, UP is divided into UP (East) and UP (West). Mobile Number Portability (MNP) was first introduced in India in January 2011 and till May this year, more than 100 million customers had requested to move to a new service provider.