This Week I Learned - Week #80
This Week I Learned -
- The size of ISO files for VS Express 2013 for Web & VS Express 2013 for Windows are a whooping 4.4GB & 4.3GB respectively! The Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate ISO was 1.5GB
- Google's Web Starter Kit claims that it doesn't compete with CSS libraries like Bootstrap, Foundation and Pure but instead focuses on customising the look and feel for the lifetime of a site.
- If you're logged into YouTube, it has your video watch history
- A misuse case describes something that the process stakeholders don't want to happen or have the process used for. If a use case was an angel on your shoulder, the misuse case would be the devil on your other shoulder. Misuse cases make system engineers and process designers put on their bad guy hats and think things like "if I wanted to steal from the company, how would I abuse the system to make this happen" and "what checks and balances does this process have in place to ensure that a theft doesn't go unnoticed. Misuse case templates are available.
- Yahoo has shutdown more than 60 products and services over the past two years and more recently, Yahoo Education, Qwiki app, Yahoo Directory
- The ultra power saving mode on the Samsung Galaxy S5 turns a smartphone into a feature phone with longer standby
- Irène Joliot-Curie is the daughter of Marie Curie and Pierre Curie and the wife of Frédéric Joliot-Curie. Jointly with her husband, Joliot-Curie was awarded the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1935 for their discovery of artificial radioactivity. This makes the Curies the family with the most Nobel laureates to date - Wikipedia
- Saudi pumps around a third of Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries/OPEC's oil, or some 9.7 million barrels a day. - ET
- According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the 1999 Orissa cyclone (which I experienced) is the mightiest one to hit the Indian coast since 1891 with a wind speed of nearly 250 kmph while the second strongest storm was Phailin which hit Gopalpur in Odisha with a wind speed of 220 kmph. Cyclone Hudhud which made landfall in Vizag at wind speeds of 206 kmph is the third highest intensity cyclonic storm out of the 515 cyclonic storms that developed in either the Bay of Bengal or the Arabian Sea since 1891. - Times of India
- If you withdraw your Provident Fund balance before five years of continuous service, you will lose the tax benefit availed of on the amount in previous years. - ET
- "The best way to avoid failure is to fail constantly" - Jeff Atwood
- “Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase” - Martin Luther King